Due to Alabama's COVID-19 state of emergency, all Alabama Power lake offices and recreation sites are temporarily closed. Our focus is and will always be safety first and to maintain the well-being and health of our customers, employees and communities. Go here to learn more, including how you can still request permits.

Alabama Power releases information on Smith Lake permits

Justin Averette

Alabama Power is currently conducting the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) process to update its Shoreline Management Plan for the Warrior River Project-Smith Development (FERC No. 2165).  As part of this process, Alabama Power is providing information to stakeholders on permits issued at Smith during the past six years.

From 2011 through the end of 2017, Alabama Power issued 5,477 permits —  4,023 of which were permits issued for existing structures as a part of Alabama Power’s FERC-approved Shoreline Compliance Program.

Over 99 percent of the permits issued from 2011 through the end of 2017 were within the multiple-use lands classification. The remaining 1 percent were issued within land classifications such as Recreation, the Smith Barrier Free Hunting Area and Project Operations. No permits were issued in the land classifications of National Forest Service Lands or Natural/Undeveloped.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

What do you wish Shorelines would add?

Loading ... Loading ...