Your lake home will always be battling the elements to keep the inside at a comfortable temperature. Regardless of season there are steps homeowners can take to increase their home’s energy efficiency.
Each month we want to provide you with new tips specific to the season, and things you can do every month to conserve energy.
May’s Energy Saving Tips
It feels like summer has arrived prematurely in the state of Alabama. Temperatures are hovering in the mid to upper 80s, and its a great time to be out on the lake. May marks a great time to begin your summer energy saving plan.
- Put up awnings or other shading devices to prevent heat from entering sun-facing windows.
- Inspect caulking around sinks, showers, tubs, and toilets. Replace if needed.
- Have duct system inspected and repaired if necessary.
Regular Monthly Energy Saving Tips
The below are not specific to any one month, but rather should be done each month to conserve energy.
- Clean or change air-conditioning filters.
- Clean the clothes dryer and vent to prevent lint buildup
- Clean for and identify “energy vampires” in your home. These could include electronics, power strips and other devices that are left on when not in use.
- Review your energy bill to see how your actions are helping to reduce costs.