Your lake home will always be battling the elements to keep the inside at a comfortable temperature. Regardless of season there are steps homeowners can take to increase their home’s energy efficiency.
Each month we want to provide you with new tips specific to the season, and things you can do every month to conserve energy.
March’s Energy Saving Tips
In like a lion, and out like a lamb. March typically marks the first month where Alabama sees pleasantly warm temperatures. Because the month has one foot in winter, and another in spring, it is a great time to begin preparing for the warm weather to come.
- Check the attic and crawl space to ensure proper and adequate insulation.
- Seal cracks and leaks in the basement to inhibit mold and mildew caused by moisture.
Regular Monthly Energy Saving Tips
The below are not specific to any one month, but rather should be done each month to conserve energy.
- Clean or change air-conditioning filters.
- Clean the clothes dryer and vent to prevent lint buildup
- Clean for and identify “energy vampires” in your home. These could include electronics, power strips and other devices that are left on when not in use.
- Review your energy bill to see how your actions are helping to reduce costs.