As temperatures continue to climb, follow these quick tips to save on your energy bill this spring.
- Set ceiling fans to run counter-clockwise to help cool rooms. This simple trick can make your room feel 3 to 4 degrees cooler and allow you to set your thermostat a little higher.
- Have the unit serviced regularly so it will be working efficiently when needed.
- Easy maintenance such as routinely replacing or cleaning air filters can lower your cooling system’s energy consumption by up to 15 percent.
- Spring is a good time to check your air conditioner’s evaporator coil, which should be cleaned annually to ensure the system is performing at optimal levels.
- Install LEDs in patio fixtures or decorative light strands. Replacing light fixtures with more efficient options will result in savings. LEDs last up to 25 times longer than incandescent light bulbs.
- Consider installing motion sensors on outdoor lighting.
- Put up awnings or other outside shading devices to reduce heat from sun-facing windows.
- Use window curtains on the inside to reduce heat from entering windows exposed to direct sunlight.
- Inspect caulking around sinks, showers, tubs and toilets, and replace if worn or inefficient.
Learn more about your energy usage and ways to save with our online Energy Checkup.